71 Frognal a 6,071 sq. ft. 10 bedroom, Victorian residence, located in the heart of Hampstead, set in exquisite gardens and once the home of pioneering plastic surgeon Sir Harold Gillies, is available for sale through agents Beauchamp Estates and is proudly featured on The BLACKBOOK. The magnificent living space features 10 beds, 5 reception rooms, including feature tower room, gym space, swimming pool, staff accommodation and substantial terraced gardens.
- Dating from the early 1800s, home of leading surgeon and gender re-assignment pioneer Sir Harold Delf Gillies (1882-1960), referred to by many as the ‘father of plastic surgery’.
- Knighted in 1930 following World War I, GIllies went on to develop ‘flap surgery’ and explore further reconstructive surgeries and the issue of gender reassignment.
- The first gender reassignment surgeries in Great Britain were performed by Gillies, who undertook the first female to male operation anywhere in the world.
- Despite his fame and private practice, when he died in 1960, he left a relatively modest estate of £21,161 (modern day equivalent value £440,090).
- The house is offered for sale at £18.95m.
- Great location and truly unique; wonderful turret room.